Sunday, April 15, 2012

Mission 8: Schrödinger's Runner

Well that was fun.  I'm sorry I showed Janine my last post: I may as well have volunteered to get my butt blown off up at New Canton.  Not a friendly lot.  Spent half the night listening to Sam yammer on to a possibly dead me.  To him, I was  Schrödinger's cat, both dead and alive; but to me, I was that guy from Monty Python insisting "I'm not dead yet."  

The plan was to go up and make a trade with some rebels.  The plan sucked.  Total tactical snafu in every sense of the word.  The only positive is that I found a whole new place to scavenge for underwear.  Five packages today!  Yeah.  Not really worth almost joining the legions of undead, but hey.

I knew things weren't going to go well when Sam and Janine were bickering about the wisdom of the plan at the start.  Let me be up front here.  If you were to open my file back at Mullins, there's a little bit of a pattern: I don't follow orders blindly.  I'm good at what I do and, lets face it: there's a bit of a labor shortage, so what are they gonna do?  Fire me?  Apparently, I'm pretty good at what I do here at Abel, too, so I was a little annoyed from the start when Janine opened up the gate and just said "Run."  Not even a direction, let alone any information about the mission.  Close the gate and then tell me I'm on a suicide run?  (Not cool, J.  I know you're reading this.  Not cool.  and then go sleep like a baby while I'm out lost in the woods because of your crappy plan?  I may make it my mission to make sure Sam has some burning question for you every night around 3am.)

Still, now that I know I survived, I have to grudgingly admit it was worth a shot.  All my "humanity needs to pull together" stuff isn't worth diddly if I'm not willing to actually try to work with the less community-minded members of the species.  I should have had a choice in it though.

In other news, I found a tin of custard today.  Custard!  I'm hoping to score a bite of that.  Butterscotch.  I would have preferred chocolate, but.... Custard!  Almost as exciting: we've managed to start a little veggie patch here at Abel.

Hey, I'm wondering... who's reading this?  Anyone?  If you're in another settlement, what do you need?  No guarantees - I have no power - but we might be open to trade if you have anything we could use. 

Alright, I'm off again.  Stay living.



No comments:

Post a Comment